Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Paris Dumpster



Taking after my dear Mama bear- Betsy. I had a great find on my first day in Paris. After getting drug [literally] into my first view of the Eiffel tower, Christy and I snagged some baguette hot dogs and ate our lunch -from a vender who's cappuccino tasted like alcohol. While enjoying this surreal mmomemt we watched silly Asian people pose for your everyday photos.

In the process of leaving I went to throw my napkins and unfinished coffee into a green dumpster a few feet from us. As I tossed in the cup, I noticed a wood framed chalk board with 'Save the Date' written on it that my leftover coffee splashed a bit on. I froze. Now I know that reaching into dumpsters is never a classy thing to do especially in Paris right next to the Eiffel tower, but I'm also of the mindset of 'Don't Waste a Thing' that goes to include: food, talent, clothes, unbroken but old items, efforts, time, and now apparently extends to anything in Parisian dumpsters. So I lifted the lid again. Christy at this point is asking, "What? What is it?" As it so happened- there were TWO!!! The date of the second was 19-Jan-13.. or for those not checking dates in Paris- Jan 19th 2013. While Christy questioned her sanity for taking me in at this point, I grabbed them both, stuck them under my arm and walked away.

For those questioning my sanity right now too- the dumpster was near empty and they were basically placed inside actually leaning against the side untouched with the exception of my own coffee. I also happened to not buy a single thing other than food and train tickets that day soooo SCORE!!!

From there Christy took me on a whirlwind sight seeing tour of, Sacre Coeur, where I almost puked, we drank the life, or more appropriate- stomach saving... Shwepps, we met the man who could jump through walls,  saw Notre Dame^see above photo which is by far the most favorite place I saw, found a Starbucks with both a bathroom AND wireless, wandered outside at the Louvre at night watched the Eiffel tower 'glitter' and after a very amusing train ride to Melun, finally made it to Christy and Marc's loft/attic/apartment home, where Marc had brought my stuff from my pickup outside the airport to and had dinner ready for us.

No way to explain how excited I am to be here with Christy... and Marc. I love the beauty, love my friends and can't wait to see what's on the agenda for tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment