Saturday, March 24, 2012

Blisters the Size of Euros

WARNING FOR THOSE OF YOU EITHER FAINT OF HEART OR WITH EASY SYMPATHY PAINS.... THERE IS A GROTESQUE/ GRAPHIC PHOTO OF A MILD WOUND AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST. PLEASE DO NOT VIEW IF YOU EASILY HARF.

After walking for a day in the shoes I brought to play in, I realized something- I need a new pair of athletic shoes! It was between these and a pair of runners that rub my Achilles tendon raw every time I run without crew socks. But being in possibly the most beautiful city in the world, I now have a new appreciation for the concept- love is pain. I love volleyball so despite my handicap, I played.

I literally cut off a blister on the inside of my pinky toe that was equivalent to the size of the more appropriate euro. After bandaging them, I played again that night with Christy's team she plays on and it dawned on me... I could play overseas. The only sienna would be finding a job cause I definitely wouldn't get paid. That's not that I don't think I'm good enough to get paid but the reality is- a lot of teams don't have money to pay American to play over here unless they are one of the national 1 or 2 teams. Though talent-wise I think several of my club players could play over here already.

Either way, on this day I walked into Paris unaccompanied. Christy gave me direct intructions on how to get where I was going. Day three and I had Paris all to myself. And their underground metro system, of which I spent a half an hour navigating both from and to Gare de Lyon. But, as the independent woman I am, I made my destinations on my own and with foolish pride.


I was headed to Jardin du Luxembourg for a day of sun and just-blooming apple blossoms. The garden was vast and intricate. Flowers had been planted and statues were stained green with age. I actually pulled up a chair against a tree near a fountain and took a nap bathed in the Parisian sun.

Eventually I decided it was time to continue my journey and truly test my navigational skills. This idea was fairly ridiculous considering I didn't have an ending destination. I finally decided to try my luck at the metro again and get myself and my desperate need for a restroom to Notre Dame where Christy had coached me on their free public toilette. From here I studied the surrounding architecture that is still incomprehensible to me and walked the tire spoked bridges. 



At this point my wandering took me past used book stands, several failed attempts at finding a Starbucks and their infamous wireless and public restrooms, and... Hotel de Ville. The square in front of the hotel was HUGE. The hotel itself was huge, but in general I cease to be amazed and the architecture of these buildings. I sat on the ground and started setting up my tripod for a self-timed photo when I recognized English close behind me. I jumped at the opportunity and asked to vacationing American girls to take the photo for me instead... unfortunately their timing was not quite to my expertise so the closest we got was either pre- or post- jump. But I enjoyed them trying and I think they had fun with the idea

My day ended getting to Christy and Marc's early, falling asleep while reading, missing Christy's 12 year olds but paining myself through her practice and coming 'home' to Marc's delicious home cooking. All-in-all a very happy, joyful, wonderful, good day.



WARNING.......PHOTO BELOW IS VOMIT INDUCING....................................
Following posts take you with me to Denmark!


.








No comments:

Post a Comment