Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Stained Glass Travelers

My two days with Erica were spent shopping in Heidelberg and partaking of a very German pastime. I got to see the crumbling castle grounds and the old bridge that I have no idea the significance of, but there was a monkey statue I got to stick my head in.



But before we hit the 'street' I ran into a Starbucks *gasp* because I was needing coffee and if there's one thing I'll even appreciate about Europe is that for some inexplicable reason, their coffee is WAYWAYWAY better than any Starbucks in the US. The shops also look like mini royal palaces. On the down side I waited almost 20 minutes for a drip Pike's Place Roast coffee. The very cute German barista gave me free flavor though for the wait.


The streets were beautiful, though I was well aware this was a tourist area and a historic district so I understood that many of the shops were purposely made to look like old-timey stereotypical German shops. I didn't much mind- I was too busy enjoying the spring and the sunsets We had a great time at an Irish pub with Internet and the most delicious vegetarian pastas dish EVER!!!... and I got a free backpackers catalog that will be epic for collages, which I fully intend on doing after seeing Tara's 'ADVENTURE' sign in her blanket fort.

 

I found some great sales, for Europe, and even the classic cougar huskie rivalry made its way overseas. In this store called Mustang there was a wall of hats, scarves, and gloves all for 3 euros, which is basically 4 dollars. And there, on that wall, were matching hats and gloves that were either crimson and gray or purple and 'gold'. I freaked!....and then I bought the gloves.....but unfortunately didn't think to get the picture- I was remiss.




My last day there, Erica took me up to the castle where we toured the grounds without going inside because frankly most everywhere costs to get into and it's usually it's not worth it.


On a serious note- I really don't like museums. You're stuck inside, looking at things that you can find in most history books. Yeah, originals are cool, but there's not anything really that different. It's smaller/ bigger/ lighter/ darker than I thought. But usually it's just the same. Unless you're really into art and the techniques or colors or styles or something, then it's mostly a waste of money and time. Mostly money where you pay to simply LOOK at something. I have the same issue/ opinion of paying for national parks or anything that in reality should be free, especially for those in 'the land of the free'

The only thing free here were the ground and the hysterical laughter I had to suppress at seeing a couple walking their dogs.... that had ponytails!




However, this one was kinda sweet because it was all crumbly-like and reminded me of Jane Eyre after Rochester's estate went up in flames- I even think I recall that being the reason for the renovations, that there was a fire!



Anywho, my trip back into Paris was as much the same as all the others but this time a couple kicked me out of my NON-reserved seats halfway into the three hour ride. Did I mention I was dead asleep sprawled across the table in front of me practically drooling? Oh, I didn't? Well I WAS!!!


One thing that I loved about all my traveling is not only all the people I got to see, but all the random people I met. Even those that I only conversed with for a second were kind. If you start off smiling them they'll normally end smiling also. It's like the stained glass that is so popularly used in the cathedrals around the world- each piece is separate and unique, carefully crafted so that when all those tiny separate piece are put together that is a magnificent picture grander than any one piece alone could make. Every piece is needed, every piece is important, every piece contribute to the larger picture. I know that I'm not only the piece but also the picture. Each person I've met or know is a integral part of my stained glass that when the light shines through and I can see the whole picture, each piece castes its light of different and varied hues and shades to allow me to revel in its beauty that is my life. I continue to be grateful for the way God has blessed my me.

1 comment:

  1. Love the "Stained Glass" analogy. Might be time to re-name your blog...or at least your first book! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete