Sunday, April 22, 2012

Americans in Denmark

My last day with Tara brought us to Holstehal for their second of their best of five playoff games against this all Danish team. We lounged a bit in the morning, watching the eerie fog retreat through their diarrhea forest, which is what the name for it translates to in English, then we put ourselves into go mode, stuffed all our bags into Donald and like a baby, we head out.


Two Minutes down the road and I was already missing my fort room. We made our way into Copenhagen none the less and met with the rest of the team for lunch and a beach park where apparently there is no fence to distinguish the regular side of the beach from the nude side. There were volleyball nets though.


While we were milling about, Tara and I had decided to ask the Danish girls about my 2:18 train out of Copenhagen when the European daylight savings was at two, thereby causing me to attempt catching a train that would never be. Their coach ended up calling the station and found my train had been changed to 3 AM or what would previously be 2. The American girls Tara shares the car with were very gracious about having to take me to the train station at 1 in the morning, especially considering they would still have an hour drive to get home after- to Schnake, Noelle, and Sage- I can't thank you girls enough for your warmth and hospitality- it was truly a great trip for me. I won't forget you anytime soon.


Well, we got to the gym that smelled like it had just been painted and I watched a poorly coach volleyball game. The mood after the loss wasn't very uplifting but there was another American's birthday to go to in Copenhagen, which helped give us something to do while waiting for my train.


I was surprised by how many American are in Denmark alone. Several of whom I was connected to in amusingly distant ways. It was a great party but also daunting after a not so great game.

We left sometime around 1230. And I made my train with the right time only to realize it wasn't a straight shot where I could sleep the whole way through, no I stopped about every two hours and had anywhere from 5 minutes to and hour and a half in between catching trains. Where I usually found either something to eat, something to look at, or somewhere to corner up and sleep.


One great thing about Europe is getting to know other peoples stories and connecting with friends world wide. I made friends with Sarah on the plane and if I'm remembering right- Christine [below] who I shared beautiful music with.


Then came my very American moment on the next leg of my journey where I got kicked out of a first class compartment and shluffed into what I like to call the 'Cargo Class' Here is where I was sandwiched between the window and the mother/ wife of the family of three with their 5 year old son- ok he was cute, but I was trying to crash and I didn't think it polite to sprawl across the table we shared.


I felt that after that trip I can handle traveling just about anywhere in the world now. So much so, I got into Frankfurt and had to buy yet another ticket to Leimen where I was thankfully picked up and saved from having to navigate to the gym.
Erica's last game ended in a loss. But the dinner afterward with her past and present teammates was mouthwatering...Baked potato with spinach and this cream sauce with baked cheese over the top. If nothin else I leave Europe with great cooking ideas, phenomenal walking legs, and an intimate knowledge of inner and outer city travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment