Thursday, October 4, 2012

Don't Jump in Dresses Without Spandex




While procrastinating my room cleaning and combining that with catching up on posts from SIX MONTHS ago, I give you day 12 on my European escapade.

If you remember 'yesterday' Tanya and I braved Château de Versailles. 'Today' we conquered some more of Christy's adventure reel for us. We even got to all meet up and wreak havoc on one of the continually free Museums in Paris.




We started with Notre Dame since Tanya had yet to go inside and experience all it's glory. I think this was my third time inside and fifth or sixth time there, but I'm SO not complaining.






I think I'd buy a ticket to Paris JUST to hang around that cathedral, it helps that Shakespeare and Company is a jaunt across the Seine should I ever get tired of staring at it in wonder- not likely.











This place give me a tinge of regret for not pursuing my original desire to become an architect. But only the tiniest tinge...

While Tanya was experiencing Notre Dame, I was exercising my bizarre photographic interest and finding more than enough to get pictures of, including this guy...

Now I'm not some sort of stickler for church etiquette, I've been known to attend fully outfitted in sweats or pajamas, and those were not themed services. Nor do I condemn anyone who exercises physically on their way to exercising spiritually, but even blurry, those shorts are SHORT! Particularly on a hairy-legged a dude. Skits and dress up- OK. I'm not sure how France does it but I don't think the few people that were there for prayer could remember what they were giving praise, nor asking intersession for. I'm not trying to judge, but man was I trying not to laugh...







Outside ND we stopped a moment to recognize our meeting place at Charlemagne the great teal [rusted copper] statue.




Pretty freakin' fantastic, right? As if our morning wasn't interesting enough, we saw [this dude] in the Seine. I've always wanted to learn to scuba, just in water that I could see in.



I can't remember why I was so tired, or if it was that we were both just cold and wanted something to drink, but it was hot chocolate time. While we were at it we though we'd show off our very obviously Parisian fashion sense.

With coffee/ cocoa in hand, we waited in line for St. Chapelle. A lady in front of us was very sweet and could speak English and informed us that the previous day there was some sort of shortage or dilemma and they didn't open the chapel to visitors at all. So Tanya and I continued to wait on pins and needles.

I have to admit, not that I've been unwilling to thus far, but I was extremely disappointed in St. Chapelle. It may have been the 9 Euros we paid to get into a less glorious chapel than ND. The stained glass is legendary, and rightfully so- the upper 2/3s of the place was pictorial rain-bowed glass all the way around. I was more interested in the individual pictures made out of the multitude of glass pieces... like this one...



Afterward we booked it over to see about riding up the Eiffel tower only to pass by the glorious ND AGAIN and come to find out that one of the elevators was broken and there was an atrocious two hour wait.








I think we may have made better use of the time that we potentially would've t spent on a ride of an iconic landmark- we did a photo shoot. With spring officially having hit the ground and running, groundskeepers all over Paris had filled in all the brown dirt clod spaces with magnificent spring flowers.







A PREVIEW FOR YOUR ENJOYMENT!


JUMPING IN SPANDEX























COLOR SPLASH IN SPRING


AND ONE FOR THE ROAD


Cutting time short we took off to meet Christy back at our favorite statue and began our used clothing store [Freepstar] hunt that led to our free museum hustle. Once again we were provided ample opportunity for photos. We were on a particular hunt for Mark's look alike- Napoleon  alas, the room wasn't open that day. Though Christy does have a picture of their portrait. Being the Northwest hippie that I am, I found ample opportunity to satisfy the glory of nature, even indoors...

We went through the museum both thoroughly and quickly. Within that, we found:

An elegant staircase
Imagine cascading down them gracefully in a huge gold ball gown with talking pots and teacups secretly spying on you.


Funny agitated painting people
Even in painting, they're getting it right.


A love of dogs that is, well, lovely
I love animals but this painting makes their keep seem much more elegant that what I recall on a daily basis.


The beautiful cathedral over old Paris
Not only my favorite landmark, but inspiring one of my bucket list dreams.


Crazy cradles
Seriously, why wasn't this my bed as a baby? I might have to recreate the adult version at some point in my life.


Insanely detailed photo-like paintings
I now feel completely inadequate as an artist.


Inspiring fashions
Even in pink, this might be the prettiest dress I've ever seen.


Other doplegangers
Photos inspired by statues inspired by portraits inspired by people.


Very creepy statues
I'm assuming part of the Gothic movement. Very Edgar Allen Poe 'The Fall of the House of Usher' in reverse.



After all this, I honestly can't say weather or not we got the Italian gelato before or after the museum, though I want to say that is was before. Not only were they worth every euro, they were created into wonderful, blossoming, melting flowers... that were shortly after devoured, creating a multitude of sensations, such as bliss, euphoria, brain-freeze.








When leaving we happened upon this building with graffiti [?] on it; I think I was more impressed than my companions, but I could stop my mental replay of the Juno scene when she tells Bleaker she's pregnant.









Well, until another entirely delayed post turns up.


1 comment: